Please ensure that you read and agree to the competition rules at the bottom of the page before submitting your entry. We look forward to receiving some creative entries for Reel Australia 2010/2011.
The laws in force in New South Wales, Australia, govern the Competition and the Competition Rules. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in this State, and any courts that may hear appeals from those courts.
Disqualification and cancellation
If you exceed the maximum number of submissions or you submit duplicate entries (maximum number of entries is one per person), you will be disqualified and advised to resubmit according to the Competition Rules.
Your entry may not be accepted or may be disqualified at any time, if you do not complete all mandatory details in the Entry Form, you do not agree to the Competition Rules, or your entry does not comply with the Competition Rules.
If this competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as anticipated for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the ADCNSW, the ADCNSW reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law to:
- disqualify any entrant; or
- modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition or any part of the Competition, as appropriate.
Any cost associated with accessing the Competition website is your responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
You must not use any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows you to automatically enter repeatedly, and all entries submitted by this method are disqualified.
Privacy and your personal information
You are required to provide certain personal information to complete an Entry Form. Without your personal information, the ADCNSW cannot accept your Entry Form. You must give only accurate, complete and up-to-date information, and are solely responsible for ensuring that it complies with all applicable data protection and privacy laws.
This personal information will be collected and used according to the www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au Privacy Statement so that you may participate in, and the ADCNSW may administer, the Competition.
A copy of this Privacy Statement may be accessed at: [www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au]
If you have any questions about the application of the Privacy Statement or a request to access, or for the correction of, information held (for example because it is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading) please contact:
Australia Day Council of NSW
GPO Box 5341
Sydney NSW 2001
Email enquiries can be directed to the ADCNSW Webmaster at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Exclusions and limitations of liability
Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the State of New South Wales (including, but not limited to, the ADCNSW's officers, employees, contractors and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence, and whether advised or aware of the possibility of that liability), for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following:
- any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the ADCNSW’s control);
- any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
- any unauthorised use of submitted images;
- any entry, film or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the ADCNSW) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the ADCNSW;
- any variation in prize value to that stated in these Competition Rules;
- any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or
- use of a prize.
Right to use names and likenesses
If you submit an entry, you grant the ADCNSW the right to use (and to allow others to use) your name and likeness to promote and advertise the Competition and the ADCNSW. However, the ADCNSW agrees not to use your name or likeness in connection with any commercial tie-ups, merchandising or for the direct or indirect endorsement of any product or service except for the commercial or other sponsorship of the Competition.
License to use submitted Films
You irrevocably grant to the ADCNSW, a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable, non-exclusive licence (with the right to sub-licence) to reproduce, publish, communicate to the public, adapt, and otherwise exploit your entry in all media whether known now or developed in the future (for example by displaying the entry on the ADCNSW website, the AUSSIEVAULT® website, on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Flickr or on any other website, publicly displaying your entry on a large format outdoor screens, or by communicating your entry to others by email, by mobile phone, by radio, television or print/online ).
You grant to the ADCNSW an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide non-exclusive license (which includes the right to sub-license) to authorise others to view, reproduce and edit the Film. Current and future sponsors/supporters of ADCNSW may use entrant material in any way they choose (this includes the Australian Film Institute) without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the competition, Australia Day and the sponsor/supporter/judge involvement.
You must obtain all necessary irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable, worldwide, non-exclusive licences (which include the right to sub-license) in all material reproduced in the Film you submit to the Competition, to enable the ADCNSW to exercise the rights granted to it by these Competition Rules.
Copyright ownership and consents
As between you and the ADCNSW, you (and any others who contributed to the entry such as by supplying any copyright material that you film) retain ownership of any copyright in Your Material. You place material on this site at your own risk. The ADCNSW does not take responsibility for any unlawful or other use of entries or comments by any other person.
You must not post a Film which features any other person, or to which others contributed such as by supplying any copyright material that you film, without their permission and unless they too have read and agreed to these Competition Rules.
ADCNSW will attribute an entry using the display name(s) supplied with the entry. However, to the extent permitted by applicable law, you (and any others who are featured in or contributed to the entry) agree that the ADCNSW may reproduce, publish, and communicate to the public your entry with or without attribution of authorship. To the extent permitted by applicable law, you unconditionally and irrevocably consent, and will obtain all other necessary unconditional and irrevocable written consents, to additions to, deletions from and other alterations or modifications of, Your Material that would otherwise infringe moral rights established by the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) for the benefit of the ADCNSW, and any person claiming an interest in Your Materials through the ADCNSW.
Entrant's representations and warranties
You represent, warrant and agree that:
- you are eligible to enter the Competition;
- all the details in the Entry Form were true and correct at the date you submitted the Entry Form;
- films must not include music other than self-composed original music and sounds
- you are one of the filmmakers of the Film you submitted to the Competition;
- you are the sole owner of the copyright in the Film and in descriptions of the Film that you upload to the AUSSIEVAULT® website ("Your Material"), and that Your Material is original to you and does not otherwise infringe any intellectual property or other rights of anyone, including but not limited to, copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights. Without limiting this, you have obtained all necessary permissions from each person whose intellectual property is reproduced in the Film to enable you to comply with the Competition Rules, including, but not limited to, granting the licences required by the Competition Rules;
- Your entry does not defame, misrepresent, contain disparaging remarks or other content that could adversely affect the name, reputation or goodwill of anyone or contain pornographic or hateful content that promotes violence or harm or other offensive, obscene or inappropriate content or contravene any other law;
- Your entry complies with all other Competition Rules;
- you have obtained permission from each person recognisable in your entry to submit your entry and for it to be used according to the Competition Rules, and for the ADCNSW to use their name and likeness to promote and advertise the Competition and the ADCNSW;
- Subject to the ADCNSW's rights pursuant to these Competition Rules, your entry will not be entered into any other film competitions or showcased in other visual mediums – website, TV etc while this Competition is running;
- Your entry is not the subject of any other third party agreements that would prevent its use according to the Competition Rules or require ADCNSW or anyone else to pay any third party for this use.
You unconditionally indemnify ADCNSW, and must pay ADCNSW on demand the amount of, all losses, liabilities, expenses and taxes that ADCNSW may suffer (including the cost of settlement and any legal expenses on a full indemnity basis) because any of your representations or warranties are incorrect, you breach the Competition Rules, or because of a claim or proceeding by another person against ADCNSW that you have caused or contributed to.
There will be one overall winner, chosen from the finalists (decided by the Judging Panel), who will receive the prize detailed in the Judges and Prizes.
- The ADCNSW reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity (including phone bill) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the ADCNSW. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
- Prizes cannot be transferred, exchanged or redeemed for cash.
- The winner and their companion(s) are responsible for all other expenses including spending money, meals, drinks, transfers (unless specified), laundry charges, activities (unless specified), incidentals, gratuities, service charges, travel insurance and all other ancillary costs. Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- The winner and travelling companions must travel at the same time, must depart from the same Australian capital city and are responsible for transport from their residence to their nearest Australian capital city for flight.
- The Overall winner will receive four (4) tickets / and People’s Choice Award Winner will receive two (2) adult return economy airfares from the winner’s nearest Australian capital city to Sydney. The tickets are valid for travel over the specified routing and in the class of travel stated by the ADCNSW. The aircraft carrier selected is at the discretion of the ADCNSW. Charges incurred by changes to flights once decided on by the winner and booked by the ACNSW are the responsibility of the winner.
- All passengers must travel together on the same booking in both directions. The winner will receive airport transfers, one (1) night accommodation at the Hilton Hotel Sydney.
- Standard conditions for tickets and accommodation apply. The winner may be required to present a credit card at time of check-in at accommodation. Once ticketed, flight number or date changes only will not be permitted. Destination cannot be changed to an alternate destination.
- It is the traveller’s personal responsibility to ensure that they have valid documentation, including but not limited to photo ID, valid passports and visas, which meet the requirements of the carrier, immigration and other government authorities at every destination. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not meeting the requirements of those authorities will be the sole responsibility of the traveller/s.
- The ADCNSW shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Should an entrant’s contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant's responsibility to notify the ADCNSW. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to ADCNSW.
- All travel from a nearest Australian captial city, accommodation and any other arrangements of any kind required for the overall winner to attend engagements in connection with the award will be determined by the ADCNSW in its absolute discretion.
- If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, the ADCNSW, at its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- If the winner is under 18, the winner must be accompanied by their parent or guardian, the parent and guardian will need to cover associated costs.
- Any additional costs related to the taking and subsequent use of the prizes including but not limited to installation, re-delivery costs (in the event the initial delivery is unsuccessful), usage costs or other associated costs are the responsibility of the winner.
- The ADCNSW will arrange for delivery/distribution of the prizes to the winners within 28 days of announcing the winner(s).
Up to 10 Reel Australia Short Film Competition finalists will be notified by 15 December 2010. Finalists could be asked for a DVD version of their Film in Standard Definition, 16:9 aspect ratio files in either mpeg2 or QuickTime format. Filmmakers may be asked to participate in a photo call and possible media interviews as well as promotion in the lead-up to the Official Australia Day Launch on 23 January 2011.
The winner will be announced at the Official Australia Day Launch taking place on 23 January 2011 in Sydney. The ADCNSW and the judging panel reserves the right to choose the winner at their discretion and judging scores will not be made available. The winner(s) will either be notified by phone and email.
Judging will take place between 10 December 2010 and 10 January 2011. From 1 September 2010 when the competition commences the public can also start to vote and comment. Taking into consideration the public vote, the ADCNSW in conjunction with the AFI will select up to 10 finalists for the Reel Australia Online Competition. The finalists will be reviewed by a stella panel of Australian award winning directors and actors. Check out the Reel Australia Judges.
Entries will be individually judged based on each Film’s ability to reflect ‘What is the Reel Australia?' that ultimately showcases Who We Are as a nation.
Films are encouraged to be:
- creative, innovative and entertaining
- demonstrate artistic merit
- respond to the question
Check out the ‘Hints and Tips for Uploading’
The ADCNSW and the judges will treat the person whose name appears on the Entry Form as the deemed Film maker of the Film submitted with the Entry Form. Only this person will be named as a finalist or a winner in the Competition and will be eligible to receive the Judging Panel and People’s Choice Prize. If your Film was made in collaboration with another person(s) you are able to attribute their involvement on the Film in the “Film Description Section” of the Entry Form. It is up to the discretion of the Film maker who entered into the Reel Australia Short Film Competition to share the prize with any other party involved in the production of the Film.
The ADCNSW's and the judges' decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
The general public will be given the opportunity to vote for their favourite Films during the course of entries being uploaded, until the Competition is closed to public voting on 16 January 2011. The Film with the most votes will be awarded the Peoples' Choice Prize.
Amendment of entry and registration information
All entrant material must be uploaded with a completed Entry Form. Once the Entry Form and the accompanying entrant material are submitted, no subsequent access will be provided to entrants to add to or edit registration information or entry. Entrants should direct any request to correct or update any incorrect information to the Webmaster at email@example.com.
Requests to delete a Film from a submitted entry or to delete an entry in its entirety may be made by contacting the Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is prohibited to upload, communicate or publish on this site entries including Films, or comments or any other materials which:
- are discriminatory, racist, hateful, violent, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, feature nudity or are pornographic, profane or indecent or are otherwise unlawful;
- infringe any other person's copyright or moral rights or other intellectual property rights; or
- advertise or are otherwise designed to sell a product or service or increase traffic to any other website.
The ADCNSW reserves the right to remove any entries, descriptions or other materials uploaded, communicated or published on this site which it considers (in its absolute discretion) objectionable or in breach of the Competition Rules or other terms of this site. This decision is in the ADCNSW's absolute discretion and discussions will not be entered into.
Film Upload Specifications
Uploaded Film must comply with the Film Upload Specifications, as follows:
- Films must be accompanied by a description of 200 words or less and credit participants involved in the production
- Films must not exceed 120 seconds in length
- Films must not include music other than self-composed original music and sounds.
- The Film you upload must be in one of the following file formats: .wmv, .avi, .mov, or .mp4
- All entrants if requested by the ADCNSW are required to provide DVD format separate to their online entry
We recommend your Film be cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio at 960x540 pixels for the best possible presentation on the AUSSIEVAULT website. Check out the Hints and Tips for Uploading for more details.
It is the entrant's responsibility to comply with the Film Upload Specifications and, without limitation; the ADCNSW takes no responsibility for any Films that have been uploaded incorrectly.
The finalists' entries, including their display name, State/Territory, Film location, date and Film description will be featured at www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au (which will also be accessible by hyperlink from www.australiaday.com.au).
How to participate
If you want to participate in this Competition, you must follow all of these steps:
- Access the AUSSIEVAULT® website (www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au) either directly or via the link at www.australiaday.com.au
- Login to the AUSSIEVAULT® website if already a registered user of the website, or register as a user of the website. You can register via the links on www.australiaday.com.au or directly on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au
- Select the Reel Australia Short Film Competition located ‘In the Vault’;
- Read and accept the Competition Rules by clicking on the "Yes, I agree" button;
- Complete an Entry Form by including all mandatory information and follow the directions to upload one Film only that complies with the Competition Rules and meets the Competition criteria
- Submit the completed Entry Form and complying Film
- You will be notified by email to your email address specified in your Entry Form that your entry has been received within 48 hours of submission of your entry. However, ADCNSW reserves the right not to upload an entry to this website, or within this period, for any reason, and to remove an entry at any time for any reason.
To participate in the Competition following registration, a participant must produce a film that is no longer than 120 seconds in length and responds to the question; What is the Reel Australia? that ultimately showcases Who We Are as a nation. It could be about what we wear, what we say, where we go, how we play. The ADCNSW reserves the right to reject any submission that does not meet these requirements.
Participants may only submit new and original work in their entry to this Competition provided that it does not violate any third party intellectual property rights and meets this Competition's requirements.
Eligibility For Participation
The Competition is open to all people living in Australia and to all Australian citizens living overseas. Foreign citizens living in Australia on long-term visas (such as residency, work, and student visas) are eligible to enter. People living in Australia on tourist visas are ineligible to enter. You do not need to have any experience in Film making to participate in the Competition.
The following persons and their spouses and immediate families are ineligible to enter the Competition:
- Members of the NSW Parliament; and
- employees of the Australian Film Institute, ADCNSW and of the sponsors and partners of the Australian Film Institute and ADCNSW.
If you are under 18 years old at the date you intend to submit an Entry Form, you must have your parents' or legal guardians' consent to enter, and these parents or legal guardians must agree to ensure that you comply with the Competition Rules. Parents or legal guardians will be required to accept the prize if an entrant under 18 is the winner. Expenses or liabilities incurred by the parent or legal guardian to do this will not be recoverable from the ADCNSW.
The ADCNSW reserves the right to request finalists to provide proof of identity, citizenship, residency and visa status. Proof considered suitable for verification is at the absolute discretion of the ADCNSW. If a finalist cannot provide suitable proof, they will not be eligible for the prize. Where the prize has been forfeited, the ADCNSW, in its absolute discretion, may award the prize to any other finalist it chooses.
No Music in Films
Films must not contain any music (including background music and sound effects) which may be subject to copyright.
However, self-composed original music and sounds may be used in film entries. Music which includes samplings subject to copyright will also not be eligible for entry.
Competition Period and Operation
The Reel Australia Short Film Competition (the "Competition") aims to encourage all Australians to create a 2 minute film in response to the question What is the Reel Australia? that ultimately showcases Who We Are as a nation. It could be about what we wear, what we say, where we go, how we play...it's completely up to you!
The entry must be no longer than 120 seconds (the "Film").
The Competition is operated by the State of New South Wales, Department of Premier and Cabinet ABN 34 945 244 274, trading as the Australia Day Council of New South Wales ("ADCNSW").
The Reel Australia Short Film Competition commences at 9.00am AEST on 1 September 2010 and will close at 11:59pm AEDST on 3 December 2010 unless terminated earlier by ADCNSW, in its absolute discretion. The ADCNSW may deal with entries it receives up to the date of termination of the competition according to the Competition Rules.
By completing a Competition entry form ("Entry Form"), and submitting your Film, you may participate in the campaign and have the opportunity, within the Competition component, to have your Film publicised and potentially win a prize. By submitting an Entry Form, you agree that the terms of the Entry Form and these Competition Rules (together "Competition Rules") create a legally binding agreement between you and the ADCNSW, acting through the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet.